Monday, January 26, 2009

Restaurant Week Lunch at MEGU

The other day, my sisters and I went to Megu for lunch. Carol and Karen ended up treating me as a farewell (I'm leaving for study abroad at Hong Kong on Wednesday)! I had intended to make reservations at other restaurants, but as usual, they were all booked. At some of the more popular places, there were no available tables until early February. So I chose Megu, which serves Japanese/Asian inspired cuisine, and was more than satisfied with their menu and food :)

For my first course, I had an asparagus salad with spicy Mentaiko sauce (fish roe sauce- specifically pollock roe). It tasted really good and like what I had thought - creamy, salty, and... fishy! Carol and I who ordered the same salad were trying to figure out their recipe... and we've concluded that they use Mayo as the base- in case you want to try this at home :). For my second course, I opted for Kobe beef steak with rice and miso soup for three reasons: 1) Another option was a selection of sushi, but it seemed similar to the one I had at Morimoto and I wanted to try something else this time, 2) The other entree choice was panko breaded salmon. I actually prefer sashimi more than cooked fish because I like the flavor of a fish at its purest, 3) I love Kobe beef! (Maybe I should've just gone right into reason #3 in the first place :/) The miso soup that came with it was really just any typical Japanese miso soup, but maybe a little better and less salty. For dessert, we all had the Chef's Choice Dessert which was green tea mochi with strawberry and vanilla cream (on the side) and Mille-feuille drizzled with passion fruit sauce. I couldn't find my vanilla cream at first, but I realized that it was hidden under the strawberry... very tricky :). Overall, it was really good and I want to go back for the 7-course omakase dinner! These are some of the pictures we took:




4 comments:

  1. When u come back from hk (and if i can find a summer internship), I'll treat u the seven-course omakase dinner! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. first of all GREEN TEA MOCHI IS AWESOME lol...and second of all love the blog and the food descriptions hehe..i really hope u have a wonderful and safe time in Hong Kong my dear, hopefully the summer will be a big season for us to hang out lol

    ReplyDelete